Alongside our liveaboard provider, the precious shark experience founded by expert dive guide and marine biologist, Elke Bojanowski Ph.D, in her quest to track and collect basic population data on oceanic whitetip sharks (Carcharhinus Longimanus), in the Egyptian Red Sea.
Elke began her shark project in October 2004 and since this date she has been actively collecting underwater photographs and video-clips of Oceanic Whitetip Sharks for catalogue, review and analysis and informing divers of their impact in the red sea. Since 2012 the project has expanded to become Red Sea Sharks and increased its scope to include Grey Reef and Silky Shark catalogues and monitoring for many shark species.
The liveaboard adventure is for an intermediate and above level scuba diver wishing to enjoy a range of topography and looking for incredible Red Sea shark and wildlife experiences.
- For divers passionate about learning about several types of the ocean’s apex predators.
- Divers are treated to a unique experiences of diving with Oceanic White Tip Sharks as well as possible encounters with hammerheads, grey sharks, manta rays and threshers.
- Diverse dive sites for more experienced divers to enjoy incredible reefs, wrecks, macro and pelagic life in a dive-centric liveaboard expedition.
ELPHINSTONE, DAEDALUS & THE BROTHERS
- Elphinstone – A Red Sea legend; a finger shaped reef, with north and south plateaus covered in hard and soft corals. This unpredictable and exciting reef is truly an awesome location where hammerhead sharks are regularly spotted in the summer and oceanic whitetip sharks often congregate in large numbers during late autumn.
- The Brothers – The northernmost part of Egypt’s offshore marine park is made up of two islands 60km away from the coast and 140km south from Hurghada.
Big Brother, the larger island (complete with a lighthouse from 1883) is 400 metres long with a spectacular plateau on the south east corner which is dotted with coral mountains and famous for thresher and grey reef shark sightings. The western side of the island has two impressive wrecks which both lie almost vertical on the side of the reef. The most spectacular is the Numidia, a large cargo steamer which sank in 1901 and now lies on the tip of the island between 10 and 80 metres covered in soft corals and frequented by large pelagic predators. The smaller wreck of the Aida (sitting between 30 and 65 metres) was a lighthouse authority supply vessel which sank in bad weather in 1957. Little Brother, the smaller island, whilst only a little over 200 metres long, hosts an incredible concentration and variety of marine life. There is a pristine fan coral forest, a massive collection of hard and soft corals and compelling overhangs to explore. The highlight is the fish life; with regular seasonal sightings of hammerhead, thresher, grey reef and oceanic whitetip sharks.
- Daedalus – This huge tear-drop shaped reef rises from the seabed in the middle of the Red Sea, 80km offshore and more than 300km south of Hurghada. Easily recognised by its zebra-striped lighthouse, this reef offers some of the most amazing dives in the Red Sea. The sheer walls are covered in over-grown hard coral formations and a variety of reef fish. Napoleon wrasses and turtles are often cruising by, but make sure you keep your eyes open on the blue. Daedalus is one of those places where anything can happen… oceanic whitetips, grey reefs and thresher sharks are often sighted, but Daedalus is most famous for its scalloped hammerhead sharks which can often be seen in large schools out in the blue during the summer months.
- Overseas Transportation & Transfers to Egypt
- Park Entry Fees
- 7 nights / 8 days Twin Share ‘classic cabin’ Liveaboard Accommodation
- 3 meals, water & soft drinks per day. On site entertainment
- Shark Ecology Evening Presentations
- National Park Diving Adventures
- Shark specific dives
- PADI Continued Education & Full Course Certificate Completion
- Approx. 18 Dives including:
- Reef Dives
- Wreck Dives
- Shark Dives
- Night Dives
- Sunken Dreams Shark Ecology, Deep, Nitrox, Photography Specialty
- Completed paperwork and pre-dive administration
- Personal Dive Instructor & Dive Equipment
- Personal 24-hour UK and overseas support
- Sunken Dreams Member(s) of Staff
What's Not Included
- Dive & Travel Insurance
- Relevant Vaccinations
- Passport applications or renewals
- Supporting documents that might be required by non-EU nationals
- European Health Insurance Card
- Costs for medication whilst on expedition
- Non Soft Drinks
For more information pleases see our Answers to Your Questions section.