Restoration of degraded reefs and coastal habitats on a scale that makes a difference must be an active environmental priority and not an afterthought. A revolutionary new technology called Biorock® can make this possible. The Biorock® Process involves divers submerging a steel structure that applies a safe low-voltage electrical current. Divers will attach small pieces of live broken coral are then strapped to the structure and have been shown to grow at 3-5 times the normal rate while coral survival under higher water temperatures and pollution increased by 16 to 50 times.
Ten percent of the big fish still remain. There are still some blue whales. There are still some krill in Antarctica. There are a few oysters in Chesapeake Bay. Half the coral reefs are still in pretty good shape, a jeweled belt around the middle of the planet. There’s still time, but not a lot, to turn things around. – Sylvia Earle
This Specialty course certification also counts as one of five Specialty certifications required for Master Scuba Diver Rating.
Course Programme Highlights:
During your course programme, Academy divers will complete the following:
PADI Biorock Technology Specialty Course Outline:
2 day PADI Speciality, Introduction to the Biorock Process:
- Learn about coral ecology and the importance of coral reefs in the marine environment.
- The course raises awareness to the state of coral reefs global and the need for awareness and responsible behaviour to protect remaining healthy reefs.
- Introduction to the Biorock process and technology and why it is so successful.
- Identify damaged coral reefs, the causes of destruction and the use of Biorock technology for restoration and erosion prevention.
- Learn how a Biorock works and why they are more successful than other reef restoration techniques.
- Gain an insight into how they are advantageous in preventing coastal erosion and eco tourism.
1 Week Biorock® Specialty Course
Students must have a minimum certification of Advanced Open Water. Throughout the week, students will complete the PADI Biorock® Specialty course. Participants will gain further knowledge and experience in Biorock technology, coral gardening and maintenance. During the course there are 2 dives conducted daily, theory time and lots of hands on practical work.
2 Week Biorock® Specialty Course
- Students must have a minimum certification of Advanced Open Water to enroll in the 2 week program, but it only takes five days to complete both the PADI Open Water and Advanced courses.
- During the 2 weeks students will complete the Biorock® Specialty course as well as gaining further knowledge and experience in reef survey techniques and coral gardening.
- At the end of this program students will work together to create their own Biorock®.
- This program is tailored to you allowing you, it allows you to chose the time frame and the PADI courses you want to do.
- This can be from the Open Water course through to the Instructor levels as well as a multitude of other specialities.
If you’ve earned the PADI Adventure Diver rating or higher, and you’re at least 15 years old, you can enroll in the Deep Diver course.
Academy Divers have exclusive access to our My Classroom e-Learning facilities alongside PADI Materials access to combine with their dive skills in both confined and open water environments.
- All relative PADI course materials
- Sunken Dreams My Classroom e-Learning Media
- Scuba Diving related training aids
- Scuba Diving Equipment suitable for the the Programme
- Professional Dive Instructor & Tuition
- Liability Forms, Relative Paper Work
- Academy Membership Update
- PADI PIC Card certification (only for ‘full’ programmes or where stated)
- Completed paperwork and pre-dive administration
- Sunken Dreams Member(s) of Staff Account Manager
- Full PADI Diver Certifications
What's Not Included
- Transport to and from training location
- Food and Beverage
- Dive & Travel Insurance
- Relevant Vaccinations
- Passport applications or renewals (where required)
- Supporting documents that might be required by non-EU nationals
- European Health Insurance Card
- Costs for medication whilst on expedition
For more information pleases see our Answers to Your Questions section.