Restoration of degraded reefs and coastal habitats on a scale that makes a difference must be an active environmental priority and not an afterthought. A revolutionary new technology called Biorock® can make this possible. The Biorock® Process involves divers submerging a steel structure that applies a safe low-voltage electrical current. Divers will attach small pieces of live broken coral are then strapped to the structure and have been shown to grow at 3-5 times the normal rate while coral survival under higher water temperatures and pollution increased by 16 to 50 times.
During your course programme, Academy divers will complete the following:
2 day PADI Speciality, Introduction to the Biorock Process:
- Learn about coral ecology and the importance of coral reefs in the marine environment.
- The course raises awareness to the state of coral reefs global and the need for awareness and responsible behaviour to protect remaining healthy reefs.
- Introduction to the Biorock process and technology and why it is so successful.
Identify damaged coral reefs, the causes of destruction and the use of Biorock technology for restoration and erosion prevention.
- Learn how a Biorock works and why they are more successful than other reef restoration techniques.
- Gain an insight into how they are advantageous in preventing coastal erosion and eco tourism.